Sisterhood Everlasting - Ann Brashers

Posted: Tuesday 30 July 2013 by Mandy in Labels: , , , , ,
0

I've just stumbled upon this gem of book a few days ago after being a huge fan of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants in my teenage years - I read it in a few hours after receiving it. This book makes me love and at the same time hate Ann Brashers so much.
The writing style  has matured an awful lot and fits into the story as the four friends that we know as Bridget, Lena, Carmen and Tibby are also now mature 30 year olds, who have drifted apart from each other. When they were teenagers, they shared 'magic' pants (mysteriously the pants fit all of them despite their different size) which they sent among them during their summer adventures. They believed the pants kept on bringing them back together, but once they were lost, the sisterhood drifted apart.

I like the way Brashers stayed true to the characters and presented their personalities in a way even an adult could relate to them - personality wise she hasn't changed them and you could predict how a character would react if you've read previous books.

I'm not gonna lie though - this is one of the few books that made me bawl my eyes out in the first half - I'd never expected in a million years for Ann Brashers to take on such a challenge and delivering such a plot twist - as I was reading the book I had to google some facts to make sure this was actually happening. The first half of the book is quite dark and expresses some raw emotions which will surely make you cry or at least leave you feeling a bit shocked. As the story progresses, it delivers more explanation and therefore somewhat lifts the mood of the book.

I will probably reread the entire series now, to see if there were any hints given about this in previous books, but Sisterhood Everlasting has truly left me speechless. If you're a fan of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, you won't regret it!

xoxo Mandy

0 comments: